HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network name cannot be found

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tk.web

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Network name cannot be found Reply with quote

Have setup Sharepoints 3.3 with Panther and run into following error when I try to log on from XP Home as a user that is part of a group with 'read' only privs...

"\Server\Share server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network name cannot be found"

In this case I setup a user with shortname 'clan'. I made 'clan' a member of 'staff' group. I also noticed a group 'clan' was created. I set group privs for sharepoint to read only. I can see the sharepoint but simply cannot log-in. I toggled group to 'clan' and that made no difference.

If I log in as owner who has read/write privs then all is OK. I'd rather enforce read only privs for file protection reasons.

During each test I logged out of Win XP Home box to clear its network cache as well as restart OS X as a precaution.

The SMB workgroup is MSHOME. I set this using Directory Access as discussed with Apple's built in help.

If it helps I can supply screen shots.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: