HornWare.com Forum Index HornWare.com
HornWare.com Help Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems w/ Tiger and SharePoints 3.5.4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dilutedluddite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Problems w/ Tiger and SharePoints 3.5.4 Reply with quote

For the past couple of years, our office server's been running OS 10.3 and SharePoints 3.5.1, and it's worked beautifully. Recently I was setting up a new server, with a clean install of OS 10.4 and the newest version of SharePoints, and things didn't go so good.

I set up the staff group with everyone (using NetInfo Manager; I'd do it in SharePoints but the window is too small and chops off long lists of users), then added the shares, with staff group r/w and no access for guest, just like on the old server. But no one was able to access anything until I turned guest permissions on (for EVERY file) -- in other words, somehow the staff group wasn't registering with logins. And some shares would seem to appear/disappear in the Connect window. I tried fiddling with settings, and suddenly shares wouldn't update right -- I'd make changes, hit "update", and nothing would happen. Same thing with the Groups tab: clicking "remove user" wouldn't do anything. Curiously, I could add and remove NEW users fine, but it wouldn't touch existing ones. All the behavior happened with both the app and the pref panel versions, and restarting didn't help.

So I have no idea if the culprit is SharePoints or a corrupted setting file or Tiger, and I really wish I could provide more info/testing, but I bailed in frustration and downgraded it to a clean install of Panther/3.5.1. Just a word of caution to test things out first with Tiger.

PS: I just found out the hard way that if you let the Panther installer import existing Tiger accounts/settings, it appears to hose every user's password, making it fairly unusable. Grumble...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    HornWare.com Forum Index -> SharePoints All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: